Sunday, July 31, 2011

A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND

During the years I lived in Hoboken, Democrats ran the place. You may not have heard of its long-time mayor. This vignette puts the spotlight on him and a couple of his successors. 2/23/2016

A GOOD MAN NOWADAYS IS HARD TO FINDS HARD TO FIND
The Democratic Party controlled many big cities during the years in which I grew up. Among the more notable mayors were: Boston’s James Curley; Chicago’s Richard Daley; Kansas City’s Tom “Boss” Pendergast; and Jersey City’s Frank Hague. Not to be outdone, Hoboken’s mayor Bernard J. McFeely held office for seventeen years, from 1930 to 1947, during which time he made those other professional politicians look like amateurs. His name should be more reviled.
   During his years as mayor, he never earned more than $5,000 per annum. When he died, he left an estate said to be valued at $5 million dollars. He never married, but had a large family. At one time, the city employed sixty five of his relatives including one brother, the Superintendent of Schools and another, the Chief of Police. Once I saw the Chief enter a candy store, walk behind the counter, ring up the register, scoop out some bills, and saunter out. Schoolboys called out, Cop's Grab, while swiping some younger kid's marbles. We all understood its meaning.
   The mayor owned a sanitation company. Hoboken awarded its municipal waste hauling services contract to his firm every year he served in office. Even after WW II, his company continued to use horses to pull its open-top garbage trucks. McFeely did not believe in replacing anything still in working order.
   Anyone who ran a political race for election against the mayor had to endure rough treatment. One year, the Hoboken police arrested the Republican candidate on the eve of the election based on some trumped-up charge. He spent the day in jail while awaiting the outcome of the election. He lost. Few Republicans wished to challenge his utter control of the city.
   The New York Post ran a special edition one time, exposing the city’s political corruption. When their delivery trucks arrived in Hoboken by ferry, police commandeered them and accidentally destroyed the papers. McFeely did not like bad press.
   Of course, McFeely doled out city jobs to people and provided financial aid to others during the Depression era. These citizens rewarded his regime by continuing to reelect him. McFeely finally tasted defeat in 1947 when the returning veterans demanded a change in city government.
   I recall the fervor that swept over me when voters installed a new form of municipal governance that year. Five officials were elected to a city council, and they voted one of their number as mayor. In that first year, three Italians and two Irishmen were elected to serve. John Grogan garnered the most general election votes. When the five council members met, the three Italians voted Fred De Sapio to serve as mayor, setting the tone for what turned out to be years of controversy. Now, instead of just one person controlling the city and stealing it blind, we had five people trying to run the place, and steal too.
Example: The newly elected board members ordered nameplates for themselves from a friend of the new mayor at a cost of $200 each. The number of players had changed, but the game remained the same: Business as usual at City Hall.
   Grogan persisted in running for office and eventually became mayor. When my mother died in 1961, he came to her wake, and shook hands with my father. Hoboken’s mayors made it a practice to attend wakes, an easy way to endear themselves with the family of the deceased and secure votes. His appearance pleased my father, not me. I doubt he knew either of my parents.
The year 1948 marked my initial presidential voting opportunity. A registered Republican, my vote went to Truman, the Democrat. Harry had sent me a nice form letter upon my discharge from the Army Air Force a year earlier, thanking me for my contribution to the nation. I felt duty bound to vote for a candidate who expressed such sentiments. In addition, the looks of Dewey’s mustache turned me off. You have to have a sound basis upon which to cast your ballot.
After moving to San Mateo, California in 1955, my desire to immerse myself in political issues waned. The elected officials there were all honest people. Who could be bothered taking an interest in a lily-white government? Hell, the city even used motor-driven trucks to pick up garbage. It would have pained McFeely to witness such unnecessary expense in the name of progress.



.

.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Joe,
    Thanks for the reminisces.

    As a current Hoboken resident they put our fight for 'boring' honest government into perspective. In recent years we may be winning, but the culture of corruption is far from dead.
    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      Thanks for your comment.

      How did you happen upon my blog?

      Have you read any other of my Hoboken-related yarns?

      Joe

      Delete
  2. Joe,

    Your website was highlighted on The Hudson Mile Square View at hobokenhorse.com so lots of folks visited this linked story.

    MSV is the biggest website covering Hoboken government and politics with thousands of readers. Would like to republish this story with your permission and link to your website.

    In doing research, I came across your website and highlighted it this week. Contact email is smartyjones@me.com.

    Have perused the stories and there's some great insights into Hoboken and very enjoyable. Merry Christmas.

    Best,
    Da Horsey, SmartyJones
    The Hudson Mile Square View
    http://hobokenhorse.com

    Hoboken's best site for government, politics and corruption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for finally putting this up. I was so happy to find it enjoyed reading this. I am the great, great, great, grandaughter of James McFeely, Bernards older brother. My grandpa, who would be 98 yrs old now if he were still here, lived across the street from the his Uncle the Mayor his whole life. He never spoke of this side of the family probably because there was alot of money involved that split the family in two. I think it's a fascinating story and love learning as much as I can. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Your comment stunned and delighted me. I would love to talk with you about Hoboken history. Call me at 480-948-9972 or email me at
    finnertyjj@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete