Tuesday, November 8, 2011

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?

These days, I often have to ask you to repeat what you just said. Here's why. 08/05/2017

DO YOU HEAR WHAT I HEAR?
While recovering from surgery in a military hospital in 1947, my new wristwatch displayed an unusual defect. It would only tick for my right ear. Gradually it dawned on me. A year earlier, after hitching a ride aboard an Army Air Force bomber, the roar of its engines caused me to lose hearing in both ears for about three days. Apparently, my left ear had suffered some permanent damage.
Over the years, this condition has worsened. Hearing aids never worked for me, causing me to cope in different ways. A speaker phone solved most of my problems at work. In social settings my preferred solution is to position myself on the left side of my bride during any discussion, not wishing to miss a single word of what she may be saying about me. She accuses me of having selective hearing loss, able to hear her whisper on the phone but unable to obey her direct order shouted at me from five feet away to take out the garbage.
Single-eared hearing people like me exhibit a stiff-neck syndrome. We twist to hear speakers, freeze in that position, and wind up resembling fans who watch only one player in a tennis match.
My hearing loss has not deterred me from attending concerts or theatre productions. I usually buy seats as close to the stage as possible. Even so, there are times when some parts of the dialog or song lyrics go unheard. You won’t count me among the audience wishing an actor would speak more softly or a singer to turn down his vibrato a notch.
Of course, hearing music blasting from boom boxes and other stereo equipment at the highest decibel level makes me cringe, causing me to run for cover, hands clapped over my ears. Which I should have done while attending a performance of the Phoenix Symphony one evening.
The first half of the program featured familiar classical pieces played without benefit of electronic amplification. After intermission, the show continued with a pops-style format. Ben Vareen sang with the orchestra that had been wired for maximum volume. The sound level hurt my good ear, literally. It pained me to sit through the entire performance.
My enjoyment of music is not dependent upon acoustical enhancement. At home, it is not unusual for me to turn up the volume occasionally, BUT NOT THIS LOUD. Granted, what may be a perfect sound level for some patrons of the arts may be excessive for some others. Musical appreciation is, after all, in the ear of the beholder.
Science has proved that the line between loud music and unbearable noise is located at the entrance to the bedrooms of my youngest son and my oldest granddaughter. Din and excruciating sounds wail from within their lairs which they insist is music. Hah! What do these young people know about this subject? They have yet to discover the joy and beauty of classical music, which concerns me. Will they ever have an opportunity to enjoy our local orchestra?
Many symphonic organizations around the country are falling by the wayside because their communities can no longer support them. Cultural dollars are hard to come by. The Phoenix Symphony is not exempt from these tough economic conditions. The immediate issue: Should I renew my season subscription or opt for some other form of entertainment?
My heart tells me to renew. But the dread of attending another performance that might fracture my eardrums causes me to hesitate. Having given one ear to the country, my rational mind says, “Don’t take the risk. Stay home. Listen to music under conditions you control. Hope that your money and your hearing will play out simultaneously, your plate licked clean.”

A solution is at hand. I plan to buy two season tickets to the symphony, one for my son, the other for my granddaughter. That'll teach 'em. Did you hear that, Beethoven?
         
.

No comments:

Post a Comment