Friday, November 4, 2011

LET'S TAKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALK

This story is the final chapter to my vignette, INTO EACH LIFE SOME RAIN MUST FALL. 12/20/2016


LET’S TAKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALK
On May 22, 2001, six weeks and one day after my operation, Dr. Gustavo Armendariz examined my most recent X-rays and said everything looked great. We were both happy with the results. He said, “It’s okay to apply full weight to your right leg, and you can stop using both the wheelchair and the walker. Continue to use a cane. You can resume driving, but only short distances.” Oh, joy of joy.
This news came as no surprise. The day before, my physical therapist, Chris Patterson, had predicted as much. Today, May 23, she guided me up the nine steps to my bedroom. Then, she accompanied me to our swimming pool and assisted me down the steps for my first dip of the season. I waded around the shallow end briefly and then began to swim the length of the pool effortlessly. It made me feel wonderful. The daytime temperature reached a record 109 degrees, but the humidity level registered just 5 percent. What a perfect combination that makes for Arizona backyard swimming.
Chris showed me how to perform aquatic therapy exercises. But instead of simply walking back and forth across the shallow end, I began to waltz with my make-believe partner, Ginger Rogers. Dancing in shallow water improved both my waltzing and my hip. Chris got a kick out of my antics, and may incorporate this technique when treating some other of her patients.
   Later, my occupational therapist, Roseanne Thomas, paid her last visit. She observed me walk up the stairs to our upper floor, and showed me how to safely enter the tub in order to shower. My days of having to use the pool hose for this purpose are over.
            Both these therapists have been top-notch. They provided me with outstanding care every step of the way. They recommended I wear support hose for the next six months, as my right leg is still swollen.
All is well with the world. My hip feels fine. My weight is down, my mettle up. How does that hymn go, Jesus, Walk With Me? Perhaps he does.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment