Friday, November 4, 2011

IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT

My sleeping could keep you awake. Read what follows to understand why. 10/5/2016

IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT
     Family members said my snoring has increased both in decibel level and frequency over time. I became aware of the change in my sleep pattern, unable to sleep through the night, always ready to nap during the day. I rarely had a need to see a doctor, and never mentioned it on the few occasions when I did. 
   In 2002 I passed out while dining at a restaurant with family members. I awoke about fifteen seconds later, confused to see them all standing, clutching each other. They thought I had died before their collective eyes, perhaps from a heart attack. I had no recollection of fainting and assured them I felt fine. The event mystified me. I had no medical history to explain my suppertime swoon.
   The following week I undertook a series of medical examinations to determine the cause of this blackout incident. My physician observed that I have a restricted air passage in my throat and arranged to have me tested for Sleep Apnea. 
I spent a night in a motel-like room where technicians monitored and recorded my oxygen count, pulse, blood pressure and other vital signs while video taping my body motions. After a few hours of restless sleep, a technician awakened me and fitted me with a C-PAP (Controlled Pressure Air Pump) breathing mask. This device forced air through my nostrils and past the narrow restricted region of my throat. The mask was uncomfortable but I fell asleep while wearing it.
   Two weeks later, my physician reviewed the findings of the test. It proved conclusively that I have Sleep Apnea, big time. The test showed that before using the mask, I awoke almost every minute, gasping for air. I never reached the state of sleep that is termed restorative. It noted that my sleep pattern became normal, once I started breathing through the mask.
   My doctor said I had two options to solve my sleeping disorder. I could have surgery to remove various and sundry parts of the throat, but he did not recommend this procedure because it only works half the time; or I could rent a C-PAP device similar to the one I used during the test. I made this my choice.
For the past seven years, I have slept with a mask which fits over my nose; a flexible hose connects it to an air pump. I also wear a strap that helps keep my mouth closed while sleeping. I look like a tethered elephant when I am fully connected.
   Sleeping this way is uncomfortable and unpleasant. However, it has allowed me to sleep much longer and better. I no longer snore and am able to stay awake during the day, mostly.
   If I lost a hundred pounds, my Sleep Apnea condition would improve and I might be able to forgo wearing the mask, said my physician. I have not done so.  
Did I mention the hospital technician determined that my snore sound had exceeded that of any other patient they had ever measured?  It is good to be number one at something. My record stands above them all, and may never be topped. I wouldn’t want to hear any person who snores louder than I do.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment