Wednesday, December 21, 2011

AN OLD BEGINNING . . . A NEW ENDING

The original version of this essay appeared in a Florida senior's newspaper some years ago. It marked the first time some organization paid for my prose. This edited version, half the original's length, was printed in our local paper in 2010. It sums up my views about retirement life activities.

AN OLD BEGINNING . . . A NEW ENDING

I retired in 1989 at age 62. Yes, I was retired, but how would I pass my remaining days? It was not an idle question. I had no plans of any specific nature. Happily, I found much to do. Here is a recap of my journey, to date.        
I began to write stories of my childhood while conducting a class called, 'Reminiscence Writing.'  This led me to pursue genealogy. My family tree now contains over 750 entries. My ‘living’ autobiography now contains hundreds of vignettes and has grown to 80,000 words. I keep adding to it.  
My wife and I took our maiden trip to Europe in 1989. Much to my surprise and delight, I mastered the use of a camcorder. I became proficient enough to tape weddings and various social events. A regular Hitchcock, I became!     
I joined a chorus and took two years of class piano lessons to help me read music. Later, I joined a larger and more prestigious choral group in order to tour Australia with them. Who knew that I had a bass voice deep enough to go all the way ‘down under?’  Currently, I perform with two different choruses that entertain residents at local assisted living facilities.           
   I also joined a "Readers Theater" group which led to my authoring a number of skits performed by "Seniors on Stage," and to help conduct a class called, “Act Your Age.”    
I volunteer for Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic. Almost every Friday morning, I read and digitally record portions of upper-level school textbooks for print disabled students. I have witnessed first hand how these audio versions of textbooks have changed the lives of such students, allowing them to reach their scholastic goals.
I welcome today’s technology. I consider my cell phone a close friend. My PC is replete with the latest versions of finance and genealogy programs, and communication devices including Skype and Webcam. I listen on my MP-3 to a wide array of downloaded audible books, as well as music I transferred from cassettes. I converted all my video tapes and home movies to CD digital format and enjoy watching them utilizing a DVD. I have scanned and posted numerous old photographs on our family website. I use a digital camera to take movies and pictures, especially of my three great grandchildren.
I welcome change and enjoy the challenge of trying to keep pace. I am dead certain that my fingers will never text message, but I will stay in touch with my family by other means. I send them e-mail messages almost daily.
Okay, I am bragging, but you get the idea. Life is full of surprises, just waiting to be savored. Staying abreast of change is both exhilarating and uplifting. While I am deeply nostalgic, and have done all I could to record my past, I still live in the present and look forward to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment