Wednesday, December 21, 2011

WHO'S SORRY NOW?

Our local paper published a version of this  "Letter to the Editor" some years ago, my reaction to the bombing of Hiroshima that effectively ended WW II. 1/1/2017

WHO'S SORRY NOW?
On August 6, 1945 President Harry Truman sent me a letter that read, more or less, "Greetings: The war against Japan is still raging. I invite you to become a part of the military effort required to destroy our enemy. If it is not too inconvenient, please report for active duty one month hence."
Later that day he arranged to have Hiroshima atomic bombed, effectively ending the war as far as I could ascertain.
These were mixed signals. Did Harry really need me now? I did not think so.
The Japanese were slow learners. Not until we dropped a second atomic bomb, this time on Nagasaki, did they finally surrender. Americans went wild with happiness on VJ-day. The fact that I would soon be wearing khaki tempered my elation just a tad.
I celebrate the day with three pals by getting drunk after guzzling whiskey from a loving cup I discovered atop a mantel in my fraternity house. I became wretched, and then I retched. It may have been the other way round. Talk about fallout poisoning. It marked both the high and low points of my drinking career.
The army inducted me a month later, along with thousands of other young men, even though the shooting had ended. I served twenty stress free months in the Army Air Force, in stark contrast to what might have been my lot had Harry not authorized the use of atomic weapons to end the war at once.
The 50th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima brought an avalanche of criticism from hand-wringing apologists that angered me. From my selfish perspective, the bombing changed the conditions under which I served in the military. I firmly believe it helped spare my life. I believe I would have been a ripe candidate to participate in the planned invasion of Japan facing a military force that seemed prepared to fight to the bitter end, using suicide tactics.
In retrospect, I wish our veterans had used the anniversary to decry Japan's war record, from its heinous crimes against China and Korea, to its insidious actions against us, beginning with Pearl Harbor. I seethed, watching Japan stage ceremonies designed to evoke sympathy from the world, when its leaders have never apologized to this country for its underhanded beginning of the Pacific war.
I am glad Harry made the decision to drop the bomb. I am glad he gave 'em Hell. On the other hand, he should never have invited me to the party after the guest of dishonor left.
            ▄


.



No comments:

Post a Comment