Monday, August 1, 2011

HOLD THAT TIGER!

Caged animals are confined for a reason. In this yarn, I reveal what happened when a pet took a powder.
02/26/2016

HOLD THAT TIGER!
Uncle Sam classified me "One-A," soon after my eighteenth birthday. In light of my dismal academic record during my third semester, it seemed prudent to drop out of college and await my induction notice. Germany had surrendered in April, but Japan continued to wage war relentlessly, seemingly ready to fight to the last man. While waiting for it to arrive, I sought employment, a shocking move on my part, having never lifted a finger previously to help support myself.
After one brief interview, the Railway Express hired me to work as a dockhand. They must have been desperate for labor. The job entailed loading and unloading merchandise from their boxcars. The nation-wide Railway Express system handled everything under the sun, from merchant's goods to personal effects. Working the graveyard shift from midnight to eight in the morning, five days a week, suited me perfectly. It allowed me to sleep all day, eat dinner, and then go out on the town with my friends until 11:30 p.m., with ample time to race home, change into work clothes and hightail it to their dock located at the foot of Washington Street. The job paid a buck an hour. Hey, it exceeded the starting wage of army privates, $50/month.
Frank Partel, my former Stevens basketball coach, also worked this shift. This change in our relationship, from teacher-student to equal status as freight handlers, made me feel uncomfortable. It did not bother him. It shocked me to learn he had to supplement his income by working at this menial job.
Another coworker, a teenager like me, also awaited induction into the armed forces. After work, we would go to the Stevens gym, shoot some hoops, take a dip in the pool, shower and head home. I would arrive just as my mother left for work at the Whitehall Dining Club located in Battery Park, downtown Manhattan.
Two other coworkers, a Mutt and Jeff team, made my job memorable. All night long, they would engage in discussions covering literature, science, politics or religion. The big fellow did all the work while his short erudite companion explained the workings of the world to all within earshot. He taught me more about such matters that summer than my college Profs had managed in my last semester.
Most of the freight was light and easy to handle. One shipment consisted of hatboxes. My boss told me to load the last one, located farther down the dock. I bent over to pick it up with one hand, strained, and gave up. It would not budge. The innocent little carton contained a vial of radium within a lead-lined enclosure. Everyone laughed at my futile effort.          
It seemed you could ship anything by Railway Express, including animals. One night a boxcar arrived containing a hissing-mad Siamese cat. A worker decided to let it out of the cage to drink a bowl of milk. As soon as the cage door opened, it bolted past the man and fled into the wilds of Hoboken, free at last, where it joined the legions of urban-tough felines residing in the surrounding railroad yards.
We formed a search party, hoping to find this prize-winning specimen and beloved family pet. The gent who had literally “let the cat out of the bag” became frantic. As time went by, it became evident this tabby would miss the outbound shipment. In desperation, our “Clyde Beatty” set out another bowl of milk. The lure worked. A Hoboken alley cat walked over to the bowl and began sipping. Before the cat managed to take a few laps of milk, my friend scooped it up and tossed this mangy, battle-scarred denizen of the streets into the cage. He latched the door and sent this “damaged” cargo to its final destination.
My induction notice arrived soon after and my employment with the Railway Express ended abruptly. How did this saga end? I never found out.

What thoughts must have crossed the minds of the owners when they went to retrieve their pet? They must have been amazed. It is one thing for a cat to have nine lives, but it is quite another to have it undergo such a remarkable transformation during an overnight train ride.
  




                              
.






                              
.


No comments:

Post a Comment