Wednesday, August 10, 2011

THOSE WEDDING BELLS

This story describes our wedding, a marriage that has lasted more than half a century. 02/29/2016

THOSE WEDDING BELLS
In August 1955, I left Arcata and moved to San Mateo. Things began looking up. I loved the better weather and enjoyed reuniting with the other employees who had elected to transfer from our NYC office. We were confident that our new cooling tower design would allow the company to offer a more competitive product, and start making money.
Later that month I flew back to NYC to affirm my desire to marry Angie. We set our wedding date, October 8, 1955.  I returned to California leaving her to make all the wedding arrangements. There were no hitches.
It rained on our wedding day, a good omen they say. Angie arrived quite late at the church, making me a nervous wreck. My brother, James, served as my best man, while Angie’s sister, Jo Sepuca, played the role of matron of honor to perfection. My first cousin, Reverend Thomas Francis Heneghan, conducted our nuptial Mass.
The bride and groom pose for posterity.
Angie’s mother, Antoinette, had died on April 1, 1955. Out of respect, Angie arranged for our wedding reception to be held at a nearby small Italian restaurant, a no-frills affair. We did not dance. Afterwards, many the guests gathered at Angie’s residence, which she shared with her father, Bonaventura, her oldest brother, Tom, and his new wife, Joanna. Home movie film shows how happy we looked at the time. Angie wore the most beautiful bridal gown you can imagine, and looked like the proverbial princess. I had married a wonderful and beautiful girl.
  


.

No comments:

Post a Comment