Monday, August 1, 2011

OH! LOOK AT ME NOW

Did you have a choice of which high school to attend? I did. Read this to discover which one my family decided upon and how I ended up attending my home town college. 02/23/2016

OH!  LOOK AT ME NOW


Upon graduation from parochial grade school in 1940, my parents could have decided to send me to either of two Catholic high schools, St. Peter’s Preparatory located in Jersey City (Jesuit institution, all male, and my brother’s alma mater), or St. Michael’s located in Union City (taught by some order of nuns, co-ed). Both charged tuition, a bit more than my folks could pay. Other drawbacks to attending these schools from my perspective included the necessity to wear a shirt and tie, and to commute by bus and/or trolley car. I must admit, continuing to learn more about religion did not appeal to me.
My brother persuaded my parents to send me to public high in hope I might win a scholarship to attend Stevens Institute of Technology. This college awarded three full scholarships annually to graduating students based upon the results of a test administered by the high school.
When September 1940 rolled around, I found myself attending David E. Rue Junior High. A number of my parochial grade school classmates joined me, making the transition to an all-male public school easy. I loved being taught by men teachers. My Latin teacher motivated me to be the best student in his class. I graduated a year later, an Honor Roll student in all subjects.

This junior high school is located at the intersection of Third and Garden. Directly across the street, facing the telephone poles, is the apartment building in which my family lived at my birth.
I then attended A. J. Demarest High School (co-ed) located one block from Rue, enrolled in their Academic program. I looked forward to graduating in June 1944 upon my seventeenth birthday.
The senior high school is located just one block from Rue, at the corner of Fourth and Garden.
   In the spring of 1944, my English teacher, Miss Marnell, began encouraging me to take the Stevens two-day long competitive examination in order to win a scholarship. One section of the test covered English, the other Mathematics and Science. Based on the fact she considered me her best English student coupled with my honor roll grades in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics, she thought I would win one of the three scholarships available.   
   Remarkably, only ten students took the test. One student, Robert Meyer, had graduated six months earlier, and had studied rigorously for this exam during that time. He finished first and then joined the Navy. Upon his return, he entered Stevens, joined my fraternity, and graduated with me in 1950. He didn’t use the scholarship, finding it more lucrative to attend under the provisions of the G.I Bill.
   Donald Flechtner, one of my best pals at Demarest, won the second scholarship, as I expected. His mathematics and science grades exceeded mine. He entered Stevens in July 1944, at age 16. He graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree at age 18, after two-years eight-months of continuous study.
   Having conceded these two scholarships, my hope of winning the remaining one rested upon my ability to “ace” the English part of the examination. I did not.  Paul Willenborg won the last full scholarship. I did not even finish fourth. I came in fifth, mainly because my English score was relatively low. Miss Marnell came unglued when the results were announced. Another teacher had prepared the English section of the exam, and the two students who outscored me were in his class. She suspected he had tutored them. It made me suspicious at the time.
   Later, the school principal, Arthur “Smokey” Stover called me into his office and said, “Joseph, you are not suited to attend Stevens, but if you insist on pursuing an engineering degree, I can arrange for you to obtain a scholarship to Newark College of Engineering.” Reluctantly, I accepted his offer.   
   NCE was located in a bleak downtown building. In my brief interview with the Dean of Admissions he told me, “We will award you a full scholarship with only one stipulation. Each semester you must pass with a B average for it to continue.”  
I turned down the offer, one of the first adult decisions I ever made. In contrast with the Stevens campus, NCE looked more like a factory than a college.   
   Mr. Stover arranged for me to obtain scholarships from other schools, such as Cooper Union, but I had my heart set on attending Stevens. Sometime late in June, my brother took me to meet the school’s Dean of Admissions, Harold Fee. He scanned my transcript and immediately offered me a partial scholarship. My brother accepted the offer on my behalf and promised to pay the balance of the tuition. How he planned to do this, I could not fathom. At the time, he found himself in the army Signal Corps, stationed at Ft. Monmouth. Later, I came to learn he worked night shifts at a nearby factory to pay my debt.

Stevens Institute of Technology Administrative Building
The view of NYC from the campus of Stevens Institute of Technology, 2011.
I began my freshman year at Stevens on July 1, 1944, hardly a week after graduating from high school. Most of its undergraduates at that time were attending college under the provisions of the navy’s V-12 program, intended to graduate a supply of marine engineers. The navy had stopped accepting new applicants to this program the previous year.
   My freshman class consisted of ninety students, almost all of whom lived within fifty miles of Hoboken. The group included six of my Demarest classmates: Paul Willenborg, Donald Flechtner, Andrew Santulli, Leon Critides and cousins Frank and Eugene Pescatore.   
   The Dean of Admissions, Harold Fee, gave the class an orientation talk. While we were seated on the grandstand in the athletic field, he asked us to shake hands with the person on either side. "Now, wish them good-bye. Statistics indicated that two of every three freshmen flunk out."  During peacetime, that held true. In wartime, the dropout rate exceeded that statistic. After four months, only sixty of the original ninety students remained in school, including Flechtner and me. Some had flunked; others had joined the service.
   Four months later, our class number dropped to thirty. The effort to keep pace with the academic work load could not have been more difficult. Classes took up thirty hours each week, including a half day on Saturday morning. We were required to take Physical Exercise class three hours a week. We civilians took the same military training program as the V-12 naval students. We climbed ropes in the gym, simulating shipboard conditions and underwent the rigors of an outdoor obstacle course designed to toughen the student sailors.
   My third semester ended in June 1945. Having failed Physics and Chemistry and now classified “One-A,” it seemed prudent to drop out of college and await my impending draft notice for military duty, which came in August.  
   The following semester, only ten of the original ninety civilian students remained enrolled. All of them, including Flechtner, graduated in the spring of 1947, less than three years after they began. Donnie had just turned 18 and had difficulty finding a job. Who would hire such a youthful Mechanical Engineer? It is tough to be too soon too smart.
  

                

  


No comments:

Post a Comment