Wednesday, August 3, 2011

THE PARTY'S OVER

Yes, I made it through Stevens Tech. Now what? This story describes my status at the time.
THE PARTY’S OVER
After graduating in June 1950, my job prospects seemed nil despite my impressive resume which showed I had spent the summer of 1947 taking surveying and shop classes, wasted the summer of 1948 dispensing ice cream cones and sailing as a mate aboard a small fishing boat, before squandering the summer of 1949 laboring as a short-order cook and gasoline station attendant. Coupled with my mediocre 2.31 G.P.A. in a class of about 190 students, it did little to enhance my chances of getting an interview, let alone a job.
   Stevens’ relatively high tuition consumed every penny of the amount allocated to me under the provisions of the G. I. Bill. Upon graduation, my $75 monthly living allowance ended.  
My mirror kept telling me, you have to get a job and earn a living as a Mechanical Engineer. When I asked, “How, where and when?” it didn’t answer.
Then, my mother intervened.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment