Sunday, August 7, 2011

RED SAILS IN THE SUNSET

This story describes a fishing adventure that ended flatly. 03/10/2016


RED SAILS IN THE SUNSET
   One day in 1955 Ed Carlson and Eb Brazelton persuaded me to go salmon fishing with them, against my better judgment. Fishing never appealed to me, but it would not have been polite to refuse their offer. We climbed into a small boat powered by Eb’s outboard motor and chugged out into the vast Pacific Ocean beyond Humboldt Bay, the entrance to the port of Eureka, California.
After bobbing around endlessly, a fish finally bit my hook, the only fish caught that day. 
This picture shows me holding my trophy catch that day. “What should I do with this critter? I don’t eat fish.” Too late to toss it back, I gave it to a starving cat and sailed off into the sunset in search of meat.
At last, we headed back to the dock. I couldn’t wait to get back on dry land. As we entered the harbor, a Japanese freighter sailed past us. Its wake hit our little craft and caused it to rock violently.
We’re going to capsize. The prospect of taking an unwanted bath in that frigid ocean frightened me. Both Ed and Eb made light of the episode but it convinced me not to join them on any future voyages in that little craft.
A prior fishing expedition with Eb had caused me grief. While spending time with him at a job site in Oak Ridge, Tennessee in 1953, he put his outboard motor in the trunk of my ’51 Studebaker while coming and going fishing at a nearby TVA lake. Neither of us realized that some oil had leaked out of the motor into the well where my spare tire stood in an upright position.
On my way home from this Pacific Ocean fishing adventure, a flat tire stopped me in my tracks. After changing it, the car wobbled upon reaching a speed of 35 mph. I could not understand why. The tire had sat in that well since the day I bought the car. I brought the car to the Firestone Tire Company dealer who determined that all those years of sitting in an oil bath had deformed and ruined it.
The dealer said, “You never rotated your original tires and you never had a flat in over 50,000 miles? Write a testimonial to Firestone’s corporate office. They might reward you with a set of four brand new tires.” 
I chose not to, as my claim might have smelled “fishy” to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment