Thursday, October 20, 2011

A FINE ROMANCE

Ain't love grand? This story features my daughter, Ellen. 04/21/2016

A  FINE ROMANCE
My daughter Ellen turned 37 on July 13, 1996. She is a very bright woman, a scholastic whiz-bang. Having graduated near the top of her high school class, she went on to acquire both a Bachelor's and Master's degrees. Her career included a two-year stint in England, working as the only American in her company's subsidiary. For the past couple of years she has been the Comptroller for a division of a large multi-national high tech manufacturer with headquarters in San Jose. She owns a lovely three-bedroom condominium, drives a bright yellow Miata (Mazda) sports coupe, just got back from a two-week holiday to London, Madrid and Barcelona and has money in the bank.
Do you recall the lyrics from one of the hit songs of South Pacific, in which the lonely sailors shout out their lament, "What ain't we got?  We ain't got dames!" Ellen’s life lacked a man. She had dated over the years, but marriage never resulted. As time went by, I began to reconcile her life to that of a "bachelorette", an executive who seemed to have settled into the role of a maiden aunt to our nine grandchildren.
If the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, Ellen faces tough odds. They say too many cooks spoil the broth. This did not apply to Ellen who never spent day one in the kitchen, and had no difficulty abiding by that commandment. Her lifestyle did not provide for such amenities. To Ellen, food is something one eats out, not at home. Her refrigerator is stark, bereft of staples such as eggs, milk, butter, meat or anything of sustenance. One might spot a carrot or a piece of fruit in there, but that would be her week's supply.
While Ellen romped around Europe on vacation one year, my daughter, Carol, her husband Todd, and their children, Ally and Jill, took the opportunity to occupy Ellen’s place in San Jose for their vacation. When they returned, Ally said, "We met Ellen's boyfriend, Bill!" I had not heard this term, boyfriend, used to describe one of Ellen's pals in years. It piqued my curiosity.
Ellen had informed me that her latest job assignment, Project Manager for a new computer system, would require long hours of overtime and weekend work. That’s why she had taken her vacation at this time. I wondered if having to work so much might cramp her romance. How would Bill feel if Ellen became less available? Time waits for no man or absent lovers. The answer came quickly.
Ellen phoned me on my birthday, June 8. After a few minutes of well wishing, she said that her love interest had become intense, and that she anticipated receiving an engagement ring on her coming birthday, July 13.
"Ellen," I said, "did I ever mention that you were actually born on June 9?"  I thought that might move things along.
July 13 came and went, with nary a word from Ellen. Cie la vie. Easy come, easy go. Life goes on.
The next day, Ellen phoned home.
“Dad, I’m engaged!” she exclaimed.
“What's his last name?" I finally managed to ask.
"Cook. And all the while you thought I couldn't." 
"Mrs. Ellen Cook sounds pretty good to me."
"Oh, but I may not change my last name. I am too well known as Ellen Finnerty in business circles to change it. Do you want to speak to Bill?”
Mr. William Cook came to the phone and we chatted briefly. Carol had shown me his photograph. He is tall, has chiseled features, a great smile, and loads of curly hair. Bill owns a four-bedroom home and loves to cook, Ellen told me. They will visit us in two weeks. They have not set their wedding date. My two sons met Bill previously, and later both gave him their highest approval rating. My joy is unbounded.
Ellen and Bill had known each other for years, when both worked for the same company. Bill became very successful, and retired at age 50. They plan to sell one of their homes and build another in Cambria, a lovely California beach town just down the road from San Simeon, site of the Hearst Castle. He has no plans to return to work, choosing to stay home and do all the cooking. Ellen is in hog heaven.
Ellen sounded teen-age giddy on the phone that day, smitten by this dreamboat. Ain't love grand?  I am so happy for her. What a birthday present he gave her and she gave me.       
In contrast, for my birthday Angie gave me a package containing boxers in a plastic Wal-Mart bag, not even gift wrapped. Wait until I tell Bill what’s in store for him in a few short years. 
.
Ellen and I danced when she married Bill on October 19, 1996.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment