Saturday, October 22, 2011

YOU STEPPED OUT OF A DREAM

Here's a love story with a "backward spin." 10/2/2016

YOU STEPPED OUT OF A DREAM
A few years ago a picture of my college friend, Ray Durante, appeared in a Stevens Alumni publication. He had been an excellent student, a member of Theta Xi fraternity and a varsity basketball and baseball player. Shortly afterwards, a different Stevens publication ran an interesting story about Ray’s impressive work career, first as a V.P. of a major international manufacturer of electrical products and currently the owner of a consulting business (food radiation) in Washington, D.C.
A day or so later, an alumni friend told me he had spoken with Ray recently. In the course of their conversation, he said that Ray mentioned that his wife, Dorothy (Dottie) Murray, had dated me while we were in high school. Why Ray found it necessary to divulge this information is beyond me, but there you have it.
I felt compelled to phone Ray and Dottie. I had not spoken with them in over half a century. How would they react to my call, barging into their perfectly wonderful and successful lives after so many years?
With some trepidation, I dialed their number. Someone answered. I recognized Dottie’s voice.
"God, I can't believe it's you," she said with great enthusiasm. With Ray listening on the speakerphone she added, "Joe, I dreamed about you the other night."
I tensed, wondering what she might reveal. "Doing what with whom?”
"You were being as funny as ever,” she responded. "Would you like to know exactly what I dreamed?”
Mentally, I flinched, not knowing where this conversation might be headed.
She continued, "I recalled the time when we went out on a date and you taught me how pronounce your name backwards. It sounded like “Phesoj Ytrennif.”
I about fell out of my chair, laughing. Here I am, talking to Dottie for the first time in a half century or so, and she recalled this occasion. As soon as she spoke my name that way, the memory of that particular date came to mind. We had attended a dance and then went for a coke at the local ice cream parlor where I told her with great solemnity that this is how she should address me in the future.
Teenage dating in the early '40s focused on dancing. During those years, I could attend jukebox music dances every night of the week at various high school gyms and church social halls throughout Hoboken, Jersey City and Union City. I danced with Dottie numerous times during those pleasant years, performing the “Jitterbug” to swing tunes or the “Peabody” to really fast numbers. If Sinatra, Crosby, or Como crooned a ballad, everyone did the “Montclair,” a slow gliding dance that forced couples to embrace for hours. No wonder we loved dancing!
During my Stevens days, many Hoboken girls attended our fraternity parties. We did not spend all our time drinking beer.  By golly, we danced between sips. Dottie met Ray at such a party and married him shortly after he graduated.  
Ray and Dorothy (she no longer uses the name, Dottie) told me they had moved eighteen times during his early working career, and had traveled worldwide. He spent years representing his employer in D.C., and had come to know many politicians.
To my very great surprise, Dorothy told me she had become an avid golfer and had served as a volunteer at famous professional events. She had met all the game's big names.
Dorothy and Ray had moved up the ladder of success. I wondered if she anticipated her future life while we danced. I doubt it. I am pleased everything turned out so well for them.
Memoirs are sweet. When you go backwards in time, be certain you reverse the spelling of your name. It is a lot more fun that way.
Don’t you agree, “Yarrum Yhtorod?”




.

No comments:

Post a Comment