Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I COULD WRITE A BOOK

I worked continuously for a period of thirty nine years, from college graduation until retirement. This vignette poses the question: What did it all mean? Read this and see if I found the answer. 2/22/18



I COULD WRITE A BOOK
A recent cartoon showed a father rejecting the idea of taking his daughter to his workplace because he does not want her to discover first hand how insignificant his job is. This matched my own belief. Looking back at my “career,” it seems most of my work consisted of performing numerous piddling activities, which, at the time, my employer thought to be relevant and even important in the great sphere of business activities.
In 1999, ten years after my retirement, SRP invited me to attend a reunion. The event attracted some 600 guests. It crossed my mind to take a poll to find out how many other retirees felt similarly, that we had labored for years at mostly meaningless tasks. The results might be valuable because tonight I will be having dinner with Phyllis, widow of John O’Malley, one of my closest working companions who died six months ago. What had we accomplished while working together?  What has remained of our association that could be of significance to her?  Did my files contain some meaningful memorabilia? Join me in looking through my file drawer.
What can be seen?  One folder holds correspondence related to personnel issues and grievances. Another folder contains photographs of me and other employees. Yet another contains copies of my travel expense reports to exotic places like Boise and El Paso. My collection also includes some payroll records and copies of my letters written in the last nine months of my middle management position.
Why are these records still in my home? I retained them on the premise that one day they might help prompt me to write stories about my years of corporate employment. Over time, the material has become increasingly of less interest to me.  However, on this particular rummaging, some documents captured my attention, stirring up old emotions, including anger. Later, I smile and laugh at the foolishness of it all. “Would-coulda-shoulda” scenarios play out in my recollection. After a few minutes, I dump everything back into the drawer to await some future review for a story inspiration.
It appears I learned my main skill in the business world not at school or on the job, but in the playground.  Few players matched my youthful skill playing the game of Dodge BalL. Being shifty as all get out, other players found it difficult to hit and eliminate me from the game. In the workplace, this is known as exhibiting survivor skills. I dodged my way through 39 years of corporate employment until the ball hit me. It didn’t hurt my feelings when the game ended.
The documents in this drawer are rich fodder for my autobiography. Many of my vignettes are based on my work experiences. The yarns flowed readily because many of my co-workers were unusual people whose antics spiced my recollections of those interesting but not quite fulfilling years.
On this occasion, before returning everything to dead storage, I removed a picture of the widow, her husband and me, taken while we were attending a conference at Del Coronado, enjoying the lavish hospitality of a large corporation. She might appreciate my giving it to her,  
Was this trip a boondoggle, you ask? 
No. This was a reward for my superior and outstanding job performance that year,   
What exactly did I do?
 







No comments:

Post a Comment