Monday, October 31, 2011

WHATS NEW, PUSSYCAT?

This story describes how a certain feline made its way into my life. 10/3/2016

WHAT’S NEW PUSSYCAT?
I have cat fever. It's a disease of the heart brought on by witnessing a love affair between Ally, my five-year-old granddaughter, and a very young and very homeless Siamese cat.
This animal entered my life a few weeks ago when Ally discovered it trapped in my storage shed, meowing for deliverance. Ally brought it into the house, draped around her neck, wearing it like an expensive sable. The furry feline purred as she stroked its ear.
The cat has a distinctive tawny brown coat, and the most luminous turquoise blue eyes I have ever seen. Other family members fell under its spell, smitten by its appearance and temperament. Close examination determined it to be a male.
Ally asked her mom, my daughter Carol, “Can we bring it home?" 
“No. I am extremely allergic to all sorts of animal dander. No pets! That's final."
However, this cat has sly and beguiling ways, and is attempting to have that law repealed. While awaiting a decision on this matter, Mister Kitten will live in my garage. My sixteen-year-old dog, Molokai, while making his way through the cat’s new abode, heading for his outdoor potty, politely ignores this interloper. He is not taking sides in this matter.
The first time I set out their respective dinners for the dog and cat, each made a beeline for the other’s dish, which they cleaned with gusto. I had no idea that my old dog would enjoy a change of diet, but who knew that cats would favor dry dog food? 
Cats are portrayed as finicky eaters, but not mine. (Dear Reader: Notice my use of the possessive, 'mine'?)  My cat is continuously hungry, and eats anything given to him, three times a day, if you please. Yes, he has grown chubbier since moving in.
Ally chose to christen the cat, "Jacob Freckles," a name not likely to be duplicated in our neighborhood. Jacob appears less interested in what name we call him than how timely we maintain his feeding requirements.
Our new boarder, whose name I shortened to “Jake” almost wore out his welcome the day he zipped past me into our living room where he proceeded to soil a new carpet. He came within a cat’s whisker of getting the old heave-ho that day, but I have since forgiven him his shabby-tabby behavior. Jake is now my good buddy. He has won me over.
One reason he appeals to me is that he permitted himself to be found, unlike the Siamese cat that escaped from a Railway Express car into the wilds of Hoboken in 1945 during the time I worked for this company as a dockhand. (Read my story: HOLD THAT TIGER!)
Maybe Jake is descended from that rebel. I would like to think so. Jake has a city-bred air about him, a con man's cool. You gotta love him. He knows he has wormed his way into my heart and figures I won’t crate him up and send him to some other destination. Should this come to pass, let me assure you, he won’t travel by rail. He’ll go Federal Express. My cat deserves the best.


                                                           JAKE, THE CAT 


No comments:

Post a Comment