Saturday, October 15, 2011

THOSE APRIL SHOWERS

We all love practical jokes, except at our expense. In this story, I describe some April Fool stunts that might make you wary of me. 04/20/2016
THOSE APRIL SHOWERS
April Fools Day could be called “Let's Pull Charlie's Leg Day”. If Charlie is naive, absent-minded or a serious minded humorless individual, a prankster will pull both his legs, simultaneously. Some jokers have no greater aim than to provoke a bewildered but benign response from Charlie. Others hope Charlie will fall on his duff, providing them with a laugh at his expense.
The 1938 Orson Welles radio broadcast of the Martian's landing in the New Jersey meadows has to rank as the best prank ever. He fooled millions of gullible listeners into believing such utter nonsense. All other practical jokes pale by comparison.
No one ever made me the foil of an April Fools Day stunt, but a practical joker burned me once. A teenage pal gave me a “hot foot,” Do you recall that practice? My buddy stuck a match into the sole of my shoe near the big toe and lit the extended end without my being aware. When the flame reached and ignited the match head, it generated tremendous heat. It caused me to perform some unusual dance steps not easily choreographed or replicated. It hurt like hell, and ruined my shoe. It may not have been April 1, but it made me feel like a fool and a public spectacle.
This incident did not match what befell a teen friend of mine whose tormentors stripped him naked before tossing him over the railing of the grandstand during half-time at a high school football game. He turned embarrassment into triumph by standing perfectly still, making no attempt to cover himself. Laughter turned to silence as he gained sympathy rather than derision. He shamed those who looked and laughed at him. Those who did should fall victim to April Fool’s Day stunts like the ones I have played on a few neighbors of mine in the past.

On one occasion, posing as an IRS agent, I called a particularly unpleasant man and made an appointment to see him at his home in order to review his computer records for the past three years, and that a complete audit of his files would follow.
In a subsequent year, I called another neighbor claiming to be an FBI agent, seeking to set up an appointment in order to investigate a money-laundering scheme to which his firm had been linked. I requested that he make copies of all his expense reports for the past year prior to our meeting.
Last year I targeted yet another neighbor.
“Hello, is this Charles Jones? It is? Good. In ten minutes, a representative of the Publisher's Clearing House will be at your door with TV coverage. To win the prize, please verify your subscription to Playboy when the camera focuses on you.”
No, I did not play these tricks!
April Fool!


.
    
      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment