Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER

After weeks of typing data on my new computer using a little known pre-installed word processing program, disaster struck. This story describes this event. 03/12/2016


I’VE GOT YOUR NUMBER
My youngest daughter, Carol, gave birth to her first child, Allyson, in1990. I played the role of an anxious grandpa, cheering for a happy landing. I handled it with aplomb.
Later, Carol gave birth to a thesis required to complete her Masters degree in Pediatric Nursing at Arizona State University. I took a more active role in this process, typing it for her on my new Packard Bell computer using a pre-installed word processing program called Celebrity. Over a period of months, my fingers managed to enter all the text. However, troubles began to surface when it came time to enter data in column format. The numbers would not align properly. A frantic phone call conversation with the computer software firm went something like this:
“Hello. I have typed my daughter's thesis on Celbrity, but I can't get numbers to line up in columns.”
Aghast, a company representative exclaimed, “You did what? Used Celebrity to type a thesis? Are you nuts? It can't align numbers. Celebrity is a minimal word processing program, one we no longer sell or support.” It appeared that all my typing labor had gone for naught.
A friend and neighbor, Jacky Arganbright, came to my rescue. She instructed me how to convert my file into a universal version (ASHII) and copy it to a disk. Using her computer, she converted it to her WordPerfect software which easily handled the task of formatting column data properly. She saved my bacon.
A copy of Carol’s bound thesis now sits on one of my book shelves in a place of honor, and though its content is beyond my ability to fully understand, it is still treasured. My days of being a pseudo midwife, though numbered, ended successfully.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment