Wednesday, October 5, 2011

TEMPTATION

A new job offer in 1969 tempted me to leave SRP. This story describes the incident. 03/10/2016


TEMPTATION
In mid 1969, SRP made a number of changes in its organizational structure. George, my boss, no longer reported to the General Manager but to the Director, Operations Services. He hinted this might cause him to resign.
The San Diego Gas & Electric company contacted me in November, wanting to know if I’d like to interview for the position of Purchasing Agent. Although it would be a lateral move, I decided to apply for the job. I interviewed once and received an employment offer. I made no commitment, but gave every indication I might accept.
SDG&E invited me and Angie to spend a weekend at their expense looking at homes in the area. We found a lovely one located some thirty miles north of the company’s downtown corporate headquarters building which would be my new work site. Their realtor said he’d help us sell our Scottsdale home. It seemed inevitable that I would accept the new job.
I discussed this with George. He suggested I delay making this decision.
He said, “I’m on the verge of leaving SRP myself, and you are the most likely person to replace me. The Supply Department manager’s position pays more than that of a Purchasing Agent. Don’t decide until I have left.”  
As the days went by, I found myself betwixt and between, caught in the “Bird in the hand, two in the bush’’ conundrum. SDG&E kept calling, wanting to know my decision. Finally, on January 5, the pressure got to me and I verbally accepted their offer which required me to start work the second week in January. The very next day, George resigned and his boss. John Rich called me into his office.
“Do you want to be the next Manager of Supply Department?”
“Yes.”
“Okay, the job is yours.  You start on January tenth.”
This completed my job interview.
Why did I get promoted in such a perfunctory manner? I have no idea. In my brief period of employment, I must have made a favorable impression on John. When he informed me of my new salary and executive benefits package, I floated out of the office on a cloud of joy.
I phoned SDG&E to inform them of my change of heart. It distressed them. They made a last ditch effort to have me accept their offer. The executive to whom I would report flew to Phoenix and took me and Angie to dinner at the Camelback Inn. He pleaded with me to reconsider, but I would not.
It pained me to renege on my verbal acceptance. I had looked forward to living in San Diego, enjoying its balmy weather and surfer lifestyle. However, neither their starting pay nor the employee benefits matched those of my new Manager's position. Other drawbacks included the longer commute I would face and the loss of a company car. I’d be forced to pay high monthly parking fees, and significantly higher state income and real estate taxes. And my children would have to face the challenge of making new friends and attend new schools. The beach lifestyle would not appeal to Angie, a non-swimmer. All these factors made it easier for me to rationalize my decision to stay put in Scottsdale.
About a year later, the SDG&E executive who recruited me died in a traffic accident. The news shook me. What if I had accepted his job offer? Would I have been considered a candidate to replace him? Not likely.
I remained Manager, Supply Department for the next seventeen years. My decision to spurn San Diego Gas & Electric’s job offer proved to be the right one. Wasn’t it? I’ll never know. 
▀.


T.

No comments:

Post a Comment