Friday, October 21, 2011

SIDE BY SIDE

This next story is a loving tribute to my brother, Jim. 04/21/2016
SIDE BY SIDE
 Every kid should have a big brother. I have one, and my life is sweeter because of this birth circumstance. It helps to have a big sister. I have one of those too, and she helped shape my life, but not to the same extent as has my brother.
 My big brother is 13-1/2 years older than I am. He was born in 1914, three-plus years before my big sister. No other children were born to my parents until my arrival in 1927. The relatively large age difference between me and my siblings allowed them to make my life as the baby of the family truly enjoyable.
My big brother took me everywhere during my early childhood and beyond, frequently in the company of his college pals.
“Do you remember me from those days? “ I politely asked one of them recently. “Do I?  Yes. You were a pain in the butt.”
He did not have a sibling and knew nothing about being a big brother.
When my sister asked my big brother why he had not invited her to tag along, he replied, "You're my sister. He's my brother."  That certainly cleared things up.
Although my big brother is the best in the business, he can also be one of the most irritating persons you would ever want to meet, exasperating without trying. He can display an enormous insensitivity at times. On occasion, his behavior forces me to shout at him, outraged by his thoughtless actions or mannerisms. In the throes of my love - hate relationship with him, there are times when I could hug and pummel him simultaneously.
Jesuits educated my big brother for eight years. He graduated from St. Peter’s Preparatory School (1932) and St. Peter’s College (1936). He may have had an inclination to become a priest, but he chose not to follow that calling. Instead, he tried to earn his living in a variety of ways. Jobs were scarce when he graduated from college. He worked in an office, a clothing store, and on the docks before landing an accounting position with Western Electric in 1940.
Our brother-in-law graduated from college in 1936 with an electrical engineering degree. He had joined the R.O.T.C. while in school, and then returned to work for AT&T’s long line division in Manhattan. In 1940, the army summoned him to serve in the Signal Corps, headquartered at Ft. Monmouth, NJ, sixty miles from Hoboken.
Early in 1942, he persuaded three of my brother’s best college mates to enlist in the army. He helped get them into Officer’s Training.
My brother refused to enlist. The army drafted him in August 1942. He refused to apply for OTC. My brother-in-law managed to have him transferred to his unit where he spent the next 3-1/2 years stationed at Ft. Monmouth, working as a clerk. My brother-in-law went to Europe to help set up the phone system needed to support the Potsdam Conference. He rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel prior to his discharge in 1946. He immediately returned to his job at AT&T.
After becoming commissioned officers, my brother’s three pals all found themselves employed in the Pentagon. Upon their discharge, they returned to civilian life and became successful business men.
My brother did not fare that well. After his discharge in 1946 at age 32 he returned to his accounting job, but ran into difficulties. He went to night school for one semester to bone up on Cost Accounting, but flunked the course. His boss transferred him to some other factory job. Despondent because his latest girl friend gave him the air, he resigned and became a door-to-door salesman, a decision which drove my mother up the wall.
My big brother always directed my life.  He insisted I complete my engineering studies when I came back from my military tour of duty. He saw to it that I renewed my GI Life Insurance policy after I let it lapse. When I bought a lemon of a car and could not maintain it, he bought it from me. He headed me forward while he drifted.
He married in 1952, a decision that drained my mother emotionally and physically. She had no confidence in his ability to support a wife. They moved to Danbury, Connecticut where he struggled to provide for her and their two children. He could never find and keep a good paying job.
In 1965, he notified me that he had gone to the Veterans Hospital to have a hernia repaired. While there, a physician discovered he had colon cancer. He underwent surgery and recovered completely. I treasure the letters he wrote to me, before and after the operation, in which he described his fears and then his enormous sense of joy when all went well.
. His wife worked sometimes as many as three jobs simultaneously, trying to maintain their household. Nothing went right for them. They were always financially strapped. She left him and the children, moved to Florida to live with her parents, and divorced him. My big brother never recovered fully from this tide of misfortune.
As he aged, he began to lose his vision. Two bungled cataract surgeries left him legally blind. This led to his suffering a broken leg when struck by a motorist as he crossed a busy street in Danbury, refusing to use a white cane. I spent some time with him during his three month long recovery period at a rehab facility. I found him to be cantankerous. He showed disdain for other patients (he always thought himself to be smarter than most folks) who shared the facility. He argued every day with staff, unable to understand why he had to fork over most of his social security check to pay for this service. 
He suffers from allergies, especially animal dander. While visiting him in October 1994 he became quite ill after spending time at the home of a relative who had both cats and dogs. I took him to see a geriatric physician, who just happens to have the same name as my brother. Dr. Finnerty discovered my brother had developed another colon cancer, a two-inch long tumor in the upper portion of the bowel. This news devastated me but did not seem to unduly faze my big brother.
He underwent another colon surgery on January 6, 1995. He waved to me as he was wheeled off to the OR. Three hours later, he was back in his private room, complaining of a bellyache. His rapid recovery impressed the surgeon and other medical personnel. He joked with nurses, claiming he had a sex operation and could now perform like a thirty year old. In ten days, the hospital discharged him. He returned to live in his apartment. My sister and I scrapped plans to send him to live in a convalescent home. The first night home, he wanted to eat out, so we had brick-oven pizza cooked at his favorite place. Words cannot describe my feelings about him at that time. He seemed completely nonchalant.
My big brother had no financial success in life. However, he is among the most fortunate of souls, in one respect, in that the U. S. Government and the State of Connecticut have rolled out the red carpet for him. He lives in subsidized housing. Medicare and Medicaid pay all his medical bills.
A gifted surgeon had performed his colon cancer surgery and spent a considerable amount of postoperative time visiting with him in his private room at the Danbury Hospital. Nurses were at his disposal all during his recovery. Once home in his apartment, and for the ensuing eight weeks or so, Medicaid provided him with the following services:  An RN visits him twice a week and coordinates all other services. A home health aide comes every day to take his blood pressure, temperature, and massage his legs. A home care person comes to do his laundry, clean his living quarters, drive him to his doctor’s appointments and take him shopping for food. In addition, “Meals on Wheels” service delivers food to his door.
All this has cost him not a dime beyond his Medicare insurance. He has received the finest care money could buy, even if he did not pay for any of it. Do we live in a great country or what?  Why would our politicians want to monkey with this plan?  Get outta here. Leave my big brother alone. He deserves the best.
When we celebrated his 81st birthday on January 18, I looked at him and marveled. What perseverance and pluck he has shown. He continues to play the piano a little, from memory, and he listens to audio tapes of every sort. He pays close attention to all the radio talk shows, and has a lively interest in Wall Street and financial affairs, even though he never owned a stock or a bond. He has a keen mind, inquisitive as can be. He has a phenomenal memory for poetry and other esoteric matters.
He cannot bear to make a decision of any kind, and will extemporize for an hour rather than say either yes or no. He has no concept of time. People serve him as though he were a king and the entire world his domain. He does not think of himself as a welfare recipient, rather an employer of folks who otherwise would have no jobs. This belief characterized his quirky view of life.
My big brother molded my life, and I thank him forever.
I wrote this on January 26, 1995.
My big brother died on August 23, 2003, and is buried in the same grave as our parents, home at last.
I love you, Jimmy.
Affectionately, your little brother,

Joe.

.
.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment