Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I'VE GOT A FEELING I'M FALLING

This story describes an unintended airborn descent I experienced. If ever you need a fall guy, look me up. 03/12/2016
I’VE GOT A FEELING I’M FALLING
On Wednesday, May 12, 1993, Angie and I joined a group of some one hundred people who had volunteered to help judge the television show, “America’s Favorite Home Movies.”  Phoenix was one of four cities across the country chosen to participate in this activity.
Channel 5’s studio served as the meeting location as Channel 3’s facilities were not large enough to handle the crowd. This station hired a contractor to erect a temporary three-tiered plywood platform structure ringed by modular tubular steel posts and handrails. They set up metal bridge chairs to accommodate the audience. We occupied two seats, dead center, in the back row on the upper level of the temporary structure.
Over the course of the next two hours, the audiences rehearsed certain on-cue responses the producers wanted to hear. At approximately 6:45 p.m., I squirmed and pushed back in my seat. The rear legs of my folding chair slid off the edge of the platform causing me to lurch backwards, hitting and dislodging the tubular steel railing behind me, resulting in my falling to the concrete floor some four or five feet below, still seated in the chair, shouting an anguished oath, Jesus Christ, fearful this might be my final back dive.
A safe landing did not appear possible. The crashing sounds made by the chair and the steel railing suggested my world would end, not with a whimper, but with a clang.
The impact caused my glasses to fly off, leaving me in a state of shock, pain, and disbelief. The right side of my lower back and my left forearm hurt. All manner of thoughts went through my frightened brain. Had the freak accident left me alive but permanently crippled?  Please, Lord, not that.      
Pandemonium unfolded as the crowd became aware of what had happened. Angie managed to get to my side. Someone phoned 911. One person kept repeating, “Lie perfectly still.”  I did, but my mind said: Take inventory. Gingerly, I began to take stock of myself, flexing my fingers and toes, and then my knees and elbows. All those body parts seemed to be in working order.
Angie kneeled down beside me. “I’m all right,” thinking to sit up to demonstrate that fact. Good sense returned, as it occurred to me that my body might be in shock. Better remain flat on my back for now.
 The expression, “The show must go on,” is more true than trite. The television announcer asked the audience to return to their seats, saying, “The cost of purchasing satellite transmission time is very expensive. Everything possible has been done for the man who fell, and medical help is on its way.”  His remarks struck me as callous.
In minutes, sirens rang out, signaling the arrival of a Phoenix fire department paramedic team who, at my request, carted me to a Scottsdale hospital emergency room. The examining physician determined I had no broken bones and released me.  I went home none the worse for wear, an ache here, a scratch there.
While walking through the front door, the phone rang. The caller, a representative of Channel 3, did not expect to hear my voice.
“Hello, this is Joe.” 
“Mr. Finnerty, is that you?  I am so relieved.”
She assured me the contractor who had erected the stage platform would pay all my medical expenses. The next day she sent me flowers. This gesture did little to sooth my anger.
Over the next few days, my emotional state gyrated. The incident made me suddenly much more reflective and aware of my mortality. Why did God spare me? How could an overweight 65-year-old man perform this particular stunt unrehearsed without suffering head or neck injury? How could anyone fall in this manner and not break a single bone? 
A possible answer began to take shape in my noodle. You have been spared to become an instrument for world peace.
No, that didn’t seem to fit my nature.
An alternative answer popped up. Your life has been spared in order to allow you to eat more Oreo cookies.
That is a more to my liking.
Whatever my karma, you won’t catch me falling all over myself trying to achieve it.
This experience taught me one lesson: Never bungee jump without being tethered. 
  




.





No comments:

Post a Comment