Tuesday, October 11, 2011

ZIP A DEE DOO DAH

My, oh my, what a wonderful day it is when you reach the retirement milestone. Let the fun begin! 03/12/2016


ZIP A DEE DOO DAH

I retired on July 23, 1989. Angie and I eagerly accepted an offer to join her sister, Jo, her brother Tom and his wife, Joanne on their planned trip to Europe that September. The tour began in London, and proceeded through France, Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland before ending in Rome for the return home. We stayed on for an additional week in order to spend time with Sammarco family members who lived in Minori, Tom’s birthplace. He had visited them previously while stationed in Italy during WW II.
Before departing the USA, I had made arrangements to rent a van at the airport in Rome. When I went to pick it up, the rental agency informed us that they did not have a van available, but at no additional cost, would substitute their most expensive car, a brand new four-door Lancia Thema luxury sedan.
“We have ten pieces of luggage. It will never fit.” 
“Yes, they will,” replied the confident guy behind the counter. An attendant pulled up the car’s trunk to reveal a gigantic well. All ten pieces went in with room to spare.
“But does it have sufficient power to handle the load?  Five adults and ten suitcases weigh quite a bit.”
“The car will drive like a dream,” the clerk assured me.
Armed with his self confidence, we began our journey southward. We stopped at Monte Cassino, site of a famous WW II battle, before completing our journey. We arrived in Minori on the day the town celebrated the birth or death of its patron, Saint Trophemena. We stayed in a large apartment owned by a relative who would not accept payment for lodging. The festivities that day and night included a parade, dance music, and a beachfront fireworks display.
We spent a number of days touring the area, including trips to Sorrento, the Isle of Capri and Pompeii. My wife’s cousins treated us royally, fed us large portions of food (Americans eat more than other people, they informed us with certainty). We saw the two buildings where her parents had been born. We gathered loads of genealogical history about my wife’s family.
I fell in love with Amalfi and had no desire to return to Arizona. Here, a man could really enjoy everything desired. The waves of the sea lapped gently at my feet as I strolled along the beautiful beach, restored after the war with U. S. funds, in restitution for the damage our guns had caused while pushing the Germans out of that sector.
At the end of our five days, and after many tearful farewells and goodbyes, we loaded our luggage into the car and began our drive back to Rome. Our flight home departed the following morning. We had allowed plenty of time to make the drive, too much in fact. We could have left six hours later and still would have arrived in Rome with time to spare.
While cruising along at 120 km/h or 75 mph on an Italian unlimited-speed highway (equivalent to a German Autobahn), with no traffic in sight, the wish to go faster kept nagging at me. Other cars passed us by as though we were standing still. All my passengers were sleeping and had no inkling of what then transpired.
Go for it, an impish inner voice whispered to me. My foot pushed harder on the accelerator, then even harder and yes, even harder. The speedometer indicated we were now zipping along at 160 km/h, or 100 mph, faster than I had ever driven.
What the hell, up it to 180 km/h.
Even at this speed the car zoomed with nonchalance.  It made no noise. I peered at my sleeping passengers. They had no idea how fast we were moving. My heart raced and I began to feel fainthearted. Then, I threw caution to the wind.
Don’t stop now, hit that 200 mark.
With the last bit of bravado in me, I took a deep breath and pressed down on the accelerator. The car now raced along at 200 km/h, equivalent to 125 mph for a few seconds before I slowed back down to 125 km/hr, dawdling along at a mere 75 mph. When my sleeping passengers awoke, they had no idea I had taken them for the ride of a lifetime.
That experience carried over into other aspects of my retirement life. I continued to try new things, to expand my field of interests, and act prudently reckless (oxymoron?) once in a while. My inner voice keeps saying:  Go for it, baby! Eat my dust, slowpoke. Retirement does not mean slumber.
   ▀



.

No comments:

Post a Comment