Friday, October 7, 2011

MEAN TO ME

Late in my working career, I found myself in an untenable working relationship with my boss. This story tells my side of the confrontation that he won. 03/10/2016

MEAN TO ME
When Colonel #2 retired from his position, Director, Operations Services, SRP posted this vacancy. I joined nine other employees bidding for the job. The selection would be based upon the results of a personnel development screening test called the In Box, said to be predictive of one’s managerial decision-making skills.  
The test lasted three hours. The task: Sort through a packet of documents left behind when an executive dies unexpectedly, and outline a plan of action based upon what you gleaned from them. I flunked this test.
   One candidate, a power plant manager, excelled. He saw the solution immediately: Sort the documents by date. Colonel #1 promoted him and lectured me.
“Your incredibly low score makes me question your ability to serve as a department manager.” My knees buckled. I had every reason to believe my days as the manager of the Supply Department were numbered.
   I did not know my new boss, a long-time employee of SRP, known for one great act of heroism. Years earlier, a winter rain storm battered the area and threatened the integrity of SRP’s dams. He and another man sailed a small boat across a reservoir in the teeth of the storm to help rescue employees trapped in Roosevelt Dam. Despite his reputation as a brave man, his staff did not care for him. When news came of his promotion, they threw a party without inviting him.  
   From the outset, I did not get along with my new boss. Over the next four years, he drove me nuts. He resorted to using insidious and devious means to obtain information about employees and their work activities. Then he would spring his findings on me as if to say, “I got you this time.” Unfortunately, there were a number of employees whose job performance allowed him to make the case that my management skills were lacking.
He employed our in-house security forces to observe some warehouse employees whom he thought were purchasing drugs from a man who operated a mobile food service truck, the proverbial Roach Coach. His decision to resort to such secretive practices sickened me.
   Angry and frustrated, my spirits sagged. Nothing seemed to go right for me when dealing with him. My management style, if indeed one could say I had one, certainly did not mesh with his.
   We argued over my recommendations for annual pay raises. He did not agree with my prior decisions. He used various statistics to prove favoritism on my part. He claimed the disparity he saw among members of the forty salaried employees in the Supply Department proved his point. He devised a complicated but logical method of allocating funds for the upcoming round of pay raises which would help to correct the imbalance he believed existed.
His salary adjustment plan could be expressed as an algorithm. A sympathetic Systems Analyst friend secretly wrote a Lotus 1-2-3 software program to satisfy it. It turned out to be the largest such program the company had devised. It worked to perfection. Once I input the data, out popped the recommended raises that satisfied his plan.
SRP had reorganized its management team yet once again, a result of which found my boss reporting to a different executive who rejected the suggested pay raises. This incident suggested he might have fallen out of favor with SRP’s upper echelon of executives.    
A series of medical emergencies heightened my state of depression and brought about more conflict with my boss. I had promoted one of my best pals to fill the position of Purchasing Agent a year prior to his planned retirement. When he did, I replaced him with another old pal of mine. Within a year, the retiree suffered a heart attack, and although he survived, he lived out his life as a recluse. His replacement then suffered a heart attack at work and died at the hospital. No one in the office knew how to administer CPR. This infuriated my boss who blamed me for this lack of training. He installed oxygen tanks at numerous work sites under his control, thinking this would be of value in such emergencies, but had to remove them all when our Safety Department told executives they posed a great danger to employees. Apparently, using oxygen in emergency conditions requires even more training than CPR and could pose even greater health risks to all involved if administered improperly.
My boss insisted we hire someone outside the company to fill the vacant Purchasing Agent’s job. This decision greatly upset the supervisor of Material Control who craved the job. Imagine my shock when this long-time employee suffered a fatal heart attack at home on August 9, 1986.   
I could not fathom why three of my closest working companions had been stricken by heart failure in so short a time. 
Not surprisingly, my boss gave me terrible performance review ratings three years running, with virtually no increase in pay. Nearing my fifty-ninth birthday, my future with SRP seemed dismal.
   In 1986, my boss relieved me of my position as Manager, Supply Department. I had served in this capacity for 17 years. His special assistant attended the meeting to take notes, eager to write down my confrontational outburst, cries of injustice, whines of pity. I said nothing.
I expected him to fire me. He had ample justification. I could not mesh with his mean-spirited style of management. He chose to remove me from my position. I remained with SRP in a job created for me by upper level executives. With their help, my working days ended on a happy note.


.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment